When a couple has a new baby, the person who is often forgotten is the new dad. You are going to find that they are just as nervous as you are, but here are some of the things that moms can do to help their husbands learn to become a father on his own.
- Give him a chance – The first thing that you have to do is to give him a chance to try things. A lot of dads are afraid to become involved because they’re afraid of what their wife is going to say. The baby is his child too, so give him some daddy bonding time with the baby and take advantage of the peace you’re getting.
- Ask him to get time off – The second thing that you want to do is to ask him to get some time off once all the family has gone. This is going to give the three of you time to be a family and to get to know one another.
- Divide the Duties – The third thing that you should do is to divide the duties. If you’re breastfeeding, your husband won’t have any feeding duties so see what he can do to help with the laundry and shopping. He might also take the baby so that you can grab a nap, a bath, or just time alone.
- Balance Work and Play – Remember dads love to do fun things too, just not change diapers. Let him do special things with the baby that are just for him and the baby. He is learning just like you are and he’s getting his ‘baby’ legs.
- Making Him Feel Special – Do something nice for him to let him know you are thinking of him, that is not baby-related. Shop online for designer t-shirts for men, or book a reservation to his favorite restaurant. Don’t forget he is still a man, and wants to feel like more than just a dad every once in a while.
The needs of dads are often forgotten when it comes to a new baby, but when you remember the tips above he won’t feel forgotten. Next: dealing with everyday things.